Logo - Italian Visa Application Center
Italian Visa Application center


STEP 1 :

Do I need a Schengen visa ?

What is the Schengen Area ?Read more

Your Schengen visas must be obtained prior to departure for Italy. The granting of a visa does not confer the right of entry and is always subject to the discretion of the immigration authorities.

List of all Schengen countries

The Schengen zone is a designated area that consists of 26 European official Member States, which have signed the accords governing the Schengen area. The following Countries constitutes the Schengen area:

Austria, Belgium, Czech-republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

South African Passport holders Read more

A South African passport holder must hold a valid visa in order to enter the Schengen zone.

Exceptions (do not need a Schengen Visa)

  • South African Diplomatic/Service-Passport holders with a Note Verbale concerning their trip (for up to 90 days)
  • If you already hold a valid Schengen visa which covers your entire trip to Italy or other Schengen countries
  • If you are transiting through a Schengen-area airport and remain in the airport.

Non South African passport holders Read more

Nationalities requiring a valid visa when visiting and transiting

The following nationalities need a valid visa when transiting in the Schengen Area (even without leaving the airport).

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Central African Republic, Congo (DRC) Dominican Republic, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, Sri Lanka.

However, if any of the following requirements is met you will not need a visa to transit (if you don't exit the airport) :

  • if you already hold a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the USA guaranteeing their unconditional readmission.
  • if you already hold a valid Schengen visa, a national long-stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen state.
  • if you are family members of an EU citizen.
  • if you travel using a diplomatic passport.
  • if you are flight crew members who are nationals of a contracting party to the Chicago convention or international civil aviation.